A commenter pointed out a problem with the page for the Wintergreen Gloves over the weekend. All the links to it had stopped working. I looked into it and it had disappeared from the server! I couldn’t find the actual post anywhere. Luckily, I happened to have a local copy of the post and I fiddled with the “posted date” to make it seem like I had posted it in ‘09 like the original. So the URL is the same as it was, but it’s a new post. Trippy, man.
In other news, a bear has been trying to use our trash can as a buffet.
And last night he poked a hole in our gate, presumably because there wasn’t any food in our trash. I’ve been keeping the trash can in the shed, but I forgot to put it back last time. It’s in there now!
And I finished my first 3-ply yarn. I started with this fiber from Chameleon Colorworks. I bought it two years ago in Portland. I’ve been trying to move through some of my older stash, either spinning it or giving it away, to make room for what I’m sure will be a massive haul from the Sock Summit.
I spun the singles on my Mt. Rainier spindle, with what I call my “Mostly Worsted Short Draw.” It’s a mangled, customized draw that is mostly a worstedy short draw, but with less smoothing of the fibers and a slight backwards pull. That didn’t make any sense. Anyway, it’s my personal style draw when I’m not going for a specific goal. I divided the fiber into three sections, with no thought for the color changes. Then I wound them onto plastic bobbins and plied them on my wheel (I hate plying with a spindle).
Despite careful fiber division, one single ended up much, much shorter than the others. Not just by a few yards or even a bunch of yards. I mean it was 30 or 40 yards shorter! You can see above how much is left on the other two bobbins. I don’t know how that happened. I don’t like the yarn very much, though, so I didn’t stress over it.
I think it ended up being worsted weight. I’m not sure I like plying with three singles. I had a really hard time keeping an even tension on all three at once and keeping the twist under control. Two singles kept twisting before the third, making a 2-ply yarn with a third single swirling around it. I eventually got the hang of it, but I still couldn’t find a comfortable way to hold things. I might try again at some point, but right now I’m sticking with 2-plys.
Oh and my schedule for the Sock Summit has changed! One of the classes I was wait-listed for got an opening, so instead of “The Perfect Rib” on Saturday afternoon I’ll be taking “Photographing Your Fiber.” I’m very excited. Just about a month left until the Summit!