I would like to tell you that my mysterious long absence was due to a secret mission for the CIA. Sadly, there was no spying or espionage involved. I’ve been very busy, mostly with cleaning and organizing and not knitting. I’m not really enjoying the knitting project that I’m working on right now but I am determined to finish it. I’m sure you know how that feels- it makes the project drag on so much longer than it should even if you’re knitting just as fast as normal. I have also been weaning off my antidepressant and, well, it hasn’t gone well. I’m tired all the time and irritable and I haven’t felt much like writing. I’ve been working on this post for four days! It would have been much more interesting if I were a secret agent.
While I wasn’t spying for the CIA (wink wink nudge nudge), I finished plying this handspun:
I bought the fiber right after my spinning class at the Sock Summit. It’s dyed with real indigo. Have I written about this before? I can’t remember. It’s 100% Blue Faced Leicester from a Verb for Keeping Warm. The woman who sold me the fiber at the Summit was really helpful and friendly and I’ll be buying from them again! I spun this on the handmade bottom-whorl spindle from the Sock Summit too, using a mostly short-draw worsted style of spinning. I r.nsay mostly because this is very much a beginner’s yarn and I played a little fast and loose with the fiber. I didn’t sample the fiber and I didn’t stop very often to see if what I was spinning matched what I had already spun. Well, it turned out mostly consistent, although some sections are almost thread-thickness. I had originally intended to make this a three-ply yarn so I was trying to spin the singles pretty fine. By the end, though, I decided to just make it a two-ply yarn. I didn’t have a very consistent amount of twist in the singles and I was sure that they were over twisted. But when I plied them, I didn’t have to put in a lot of twist to make a “balanced” yarn. This led to some problems plying… to get the yarn to look and feel nice, I had to over-twist during plying; the “balanced” yarn has hardly any twist at all in it. I started over-twisting about halfway through. Maybe I’ll knit something with it… maybe it’ll just be pretty yarn to look at.
One of the bedrooms in our house has a French door with glass panels instead of a regular door. This room is technically my studio but that hasn’t stopped me from littering the rest of the house with projects, yarn, beads, and other detritus of the crafter. When we have multiple house guests at once, the addition of an air mattress magically turns this room into an extra guest room. As you can imagine the glass door is a little problematic from a privacy standpoint. Since this situation only comes up a few times a year, the usual solution is a sheet hung over the door. Efficient but ugly to say the least. So I grabbed some over-the-door hooks, two short curtain rods, and some fabric (on sale!) and made a curtain for the door.
It was a very simple project. I had originally intended to make the curtain a little wider and use two different fabrics, one on each side, but then I got lazy. Possibly because I had already worked on one very time-consuming sewing project already that day. I simply folded the fabric in half, topstitched various parts and hung it on the door. Somehow the bottom is crooked despite careful measurements. I’m going to pretend that the curtain is perfectly straight and it’s the door that’s the problem. As an added bonus, the fabric looks really cool when the light from the room is shining through it. And yes, the curtain is just a hair short width-wise. Again, it’s the door’s fault.
Other than that, there’s been the cleaning and culling of stuff (not the stash of course, that just got a major enhancement a few days ago.) Books and old clothes have been donated, decorations have been put up, small kitchen disasters which resulted it pot roast gravy going everywhere have been resolved. You know, the usual holiday stuff. Also, this strange furry object on top of my yarn has kept me from knitting too: